Posted: Monday 12 October 2020
The October 2020 update for Clash of Clans is now live and introduces some new levels at Town Hall 13, two new Super Troops and a number of Quality of Life changes.
This post will summarise what has been added/changed, however the full patch notes can be viewed here:
New Super Troops
This update introduces two new Super Troops: the Super Valkyrie and the Super Minion.
The Super Valkyrie is similar to the regular Valkyrie, although her attack does more damage and upon destruction, she drops a Rage Spell for other troops to take advantage of.
The Super Valkyrie is available at TH12 once level 7 Valkyries have been researched.
The Super Minion is a tankier and more damaging version of the regular Minion, however he also has a special ability where his first 5 shots are long range shots, similar to the Beta Minion in the Builder Base. Due to the Super Minion’s increased size, he will activate Seeking Air Mines (black air mines).
The Super Minion is available at TH12 once level 8 Minions have been researched.
Super Troop Cooldown Removal
Previously, once a Super Troop had been activated, it was active for 7 days and then at the end of this time, the troop would be locked for 7 days, preventing activation for a week. This cooldown is being removed so that the same troop can be activated again immediately if the player chooses.
New Town Hall 13 Content
It is now possible to upgrade an additional 100 wall segments to level 14, allowing all wall pieces to be upgraded.
The Supercell ID team has been hard at work, adding a few new, community-requested features to improve the usability of the Supercell ID.
- You can now custom name each of your Supercell ID accounts.
- Ability to add profiles and profile pictures - time to find that best kitty photo!
- Friends list - You can now add friends to your Supercell ID account and play with them across all Supercell games.
- You can now see who on your friend’s list is online and what Supercell game they are currently playing
Quality of Life Changes/Updates
Age Verification for New Accounts
New accounts in the United States created after the release of this update will be asked to enter their age in the game. Players under the age of 16 will be identified as a young account and will have the following features:
- Supercell ID will be unavailable. We hope to introduce a young player-compatible version of Supercell ID in a future update.
- Clan’s with younger players will have a more strictly moderated Clan Chat. Profanity and personally identifiable information will be removed when detected in the Clan Chat channel.
- Players will be given a confirmation pop-up if a link tries to take them outside of the game.
- Once the player reaches 16 years of age, the above features will be removed.
Heroes will now always guard the village and will automatically heal after taking a defense. The Guard toggle has now been removed.
The battle will no longer end prematurely if the Siege Barracks is the final remaining unit.
Beta Minion’s AI improved to reduce randomness of their starting attack position.
Clock Tower Boost will no longer pause during maintenance as maintenance will not affect the Builder Base’s progress.
New tech added to skin functionality to allow cooler, wilder special effects like customized spawned troops, attack hits, smoke effects, etc.
Fixed visual fidelity to correct weapons incorrectly clipping into the game geometry.
The “For You” tab has been removed. The “Community” tab provides up-to-date content by the Clash Content Creators with useful strategy videos and helpful guides.
The game engine can now render multiple spell effects at once (combinations of Heal, Jump, Rage, Poison, Invisibility, Haste, Eternal Tome, Freeze, Frost, Clone, Stun, Shrink, etc.).
The option to have a 5-minute preparation time and 45-minute Wars has been added.
- Wall Breakers will now be able to use Jump Spell
- Wall Breakers AI has been improved for greater target consistency and reduces the chance of them attacking different Wall segments when deployed.
- Some attack damage has been shifted to the Wall Breakers death damage to make them more predictable and viable, assuming max Laboratory level for your respective Town Hall level.
Inferno Dragon’s beam will no longer heat up while flying; however, the charge-up time for higher damage levels has been reduced.
Level 4 Siege Barracks Wizards have been reduced from 12 to 11.
Electro Dragon’s chain lightning will now prefer targets with the highest hit points if multiple targets are equidistant.
Super Archer will no longer miss targets within 0.1 tiles of her.
Flying Unit AI
Improved the AI for all flying units by not forcing them to retarget when a Hidden Tesla appears when their current target is better.
Level 8 Air Defense (TH10) hit points have been increased by 10 HP, making them more resistant to Lightning Spell strikes.
The number of Skeletons spawned at each level has been increased by 1 Skeleton.
Upgrade time/cost reductions
Cost and time reductions have been made to Dark Troop upgrades, mostly affecting Town Halls 7 to 11. Details of these reductions can be seen on the Clash of Clans Blog post announcing them.
- A unit that has not been unlocked will not be available in Friendly Challenges while the production building that would unlock that unit is currently upgrading. However, usage of already unlocked units remains possible even while the production building is upgrading.
- Super Troop donation requests are not removed if Army Camps or production buildings contain those Super Troops.
- The timer for Power Potion and Hero Potion is more accurate.
- Fixed issue in the layout editor so it no longer places objects on top of each other, causing the save to fail when items overlap.
- Introduce a new Season Challenge task to collect Stars in a Friendly Challenge for the Home Village or Builder Base.
- Fix personal break not working properly with the 24-hour village guard you get when entering the re-engagement flow.
- Disable the Current War button when browsing normal War history while Clan War Leagues are ongoing to prevent unwanted spectators.
- Show time left properly in Clan Chat of Builder Base Friendly Challenges.
- Fixed 3D animation issues to blend better between first and last frames.
- Fixed a bug with Electro Dragon’s chain lightning distance calculation.
- Fixed Miner’s attack animation so he does damage simultaneously when the shovel hits the target.
- Fixed an issue of shrinking characters when targeted by the Headhunter.
- Fixed a rarely occurring issue where troops would not retarget correctly when a Hidden Tesla appeared if the troops had already retargeted to something else and their attack cooldown from the previous attack had not yet completed.
- Fixed the projectile attack animation angle of the Battle Blimp. Previously it was aimed at the ground but exploded in the air above the target.
- Prevent troops from retargeting after exiting a Jump Spell, thus prevent troops from getting stuck in a never ending Jump Spell loop.
Clash Ninja Upgrade Tracker
If you are looking for a tool to show you remaining upgrade for your village and help you plan your upgrade order, check out the Clash Ninja Upgrade Tracker.